View Single Post
7/12/18, 1:13 PM   #11
Re: Kudos to Atomic Speedway
ISF

An earlier post mentioned that Billy Moyer recently had a horrible encounter with a track wall opening. It was one of the most chilling crashes we've ever seen that didn't result in significant driver injury. The Moyer incident took place at La Salle Speedway in Illinois and directly resulted in Billy taking some time off from driving. La Salle is less than an hour from our house. We've seen a couple of equally frightening incidents take place at the exact spot on the track at La Salle. Actually, many years ago Sammy Swindell hit the same blunt wall opening as Moyer did back when he was running a full WoO Sprint Car schedule. IIRC Sammy hit in the same spot twice. I don't know if this recent incident with Moyer will precipitate insurance company mandated changes in that part of the track, but it should. In fact, there should have been changes made to that area of La Salle Speedway immediately after Sammy's first crash and that happened 20 or more years ago. I was also there that night and it was very bad and Sammy was dinged up a bit as a result.

It is a fact of life that operating and construction costs are a huge factors in race track budgeting and I don't advocate for standardized engineering changes but on the same token there should definitely be specific criteria in play at this juncture of race track design in regards to wall openings.

1 member likes this post: WinglessLovers