View Single Post
3/29/18, 10:57 PM   #37
Re: Aluminum v6 midget
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper14 View Post
I thought d2 was to be a junk yard motor.i think sun prairie ruined the junk yard motor concept.a car I helped put together was a real junk yard motor ,300 bucks,and won a feature at grundy last year.the dad and daughter that drove worked on the car every night until it went around the track.and it was a 300 buck motor.factory crank rods block head.that is what I thought d2 was about.
I don't understand how people can't grasp how racing works. The Ford Focus series was a much better concept than the D2 series. You received a completely brand new never been run engine for $7850 when it first started in the Midwest. Everyone had to run the exact same engine. Talk about coming down to set-up and driver. In the end, it failed. Got down to basically less than 10 cars at every event.

The ASCSII Midget series was the next Ford Focus series. Engines were even built by the same exact guy that did the Focus engines. They required an Ecotec engine and went so far as to run dirt only (people blamed pavement and travel for the downfall of the Focus series). Everyone had the same engine, it came down to setup and driver and it failed.

There is no such thing as a $300 junk yard engine. You might get a core for $300 but how good is it? Not to mention good cores are actually much more than $300 and cost more like $700-$1500 based on mileage. Then at the end of the day, you have an engine someone wouldn't even run in their street car let alone in a race car. Then ask yourself, "what all do I have to do to it or pay someone to do to it to make it viable for racing?" Quite a bit actually. Since D2 is not a spec sealed engine series you can totally rebuild them if you want (couldn't do that in the Focus or ASCSII series). When you take a junk yard engine and totally rebuild it even using STOCK parts you can still spend right around $15,000 on it! Labor and parts are not cheap. MWR builds stock component Ecotecs and his top of the line D2 engine is right at $15,000. Here is a link to prove it. http://www.mwrtechnology.com/product...stage-4-motor/.

Now think about this. You spent $15k and you could have had a Badger legal engine that puts out over 325hp and makes 240 ft lbs of torque. Raced Badger for $1,000 to win, or POWRI National and race for $2000 to win and been very competitive. This is in lieu of racing D2 where it pays $300 to win and maybe if you're lucky $50 to start! Here is a video of a Badger engine going up against the status quo Midget engines and finishing second https://youtu.be/s1nx1BvpWA4

Now, here is a link to a brand new Badger legal Honda for under $15,000. (ignore the hp figures cause in my opinion they are exaggerated) https://kmodperformance.myshopify.co...nt=47562707981

What makes more sense? If you feel like its D2 then have at it. I'll stay with Badger where the pay is good, the officiating is done by the series itself, the T&S is done by the series itself, the tech is done by the series itself, the series is operated by an elected board of directors, every dime the series makes goes back into it not into someones pockets, etc etc etc. Oh and the engines are basically as fast as current engines that cost $36,000 to $50,000 so you have taken nothing away from the traditional speed that Midget fans are used to.

I have looked at this time and time again. I raced the Focus Series, Badger pre and post DOHC engines, POWRI National, USAC National, TQs, go-kart etc. The thing that makes the most sense is what Badger is doing now. It is the right balance of professionalism, cost, pay out, ability to tech engines, etc etc etc. Oh and there is nobody abusing their position to get a free or reduced cost engine. Can't say that about D2. In the D2 series I know of at least two series owners who have used their position to get a Honda or Ecotec for free or reduced price. And guess what, they're full blown top of the line rebuilt engines not a junk yard special!!
Last edited by Ray3; 3/29/18 at 11:21 PM.

2 members like this post: dirtrack, RickyBobby