View Single Post
2/24/18, 5:41 PM   #23
Re: Driver adjustments
Tim Clauson

I apologize if this is hard to read but I tried to answer each question, I answered in bold. Thanks !

Originally Posted by spankytoo View Post
If USAC wanted to be more "inclusive", why the 4 corner Hoosier rule? Just as you said when a series travels it relies on field fillers. There are tracks and series that allow other brands of tires and now they have to spend an extra $50 a tire to race just one race. The adjusters last forever.

I didn't think the original question was about the tire rule, I was only speaking of the thought process that was discussed during the competition meeting concerning shock adjusters.

My thoughts on your question of the tire rule, My best educated guess would be that point fund $$ drives the 4 corner tire rule. I struggle with the open tire rule for a couple of different reasons #1 I feel my tire and wheel inventory would double to make sure I was covered for every conceivable situation. #2 I think the top teams would become sponsored by tire company's therefor making the perceived rich a little richer.

You also said that it made you look harder at your cars, crew chief and driver. You guys have the experience of running 50 to 90 races a year and have hired crew chiefs. So the "field fillers" that don't have your experience can't make the educated adjustments before they go out on the track so you have basically made the noncompetitive.

I am not sure how we can legislate experience in a series.

It defiantly made us look harder at our cars and our approach to the races. The only way I can think of taking away the advantage of experience is to have an aging out policy similar to quarter midgets. I can only speak for our team but we have no issue sharing our experience with inexperienced or new teams as our number one goal should be to grow the series. In fact we lent a hand to a new USAC team in Florida and after watching them in their heat quickly I regretted my decision... I am kidding but they looked really good.

So why should they show up? I know of 4 local Indiana teams that have said they have had enough of USAC catering to their top 15.

I would love to know who these 4 teams are to discuss their reservations and how USAC can make them feel included in the process. I feel their competition meetings are pretty open as both the midget and Sprint car meetings while not greatly attended did include non fulltime participants who not only gave great insight but also their ideas were a big part of the discussions on different areas that were dcovered.

Again these are just my thoughts. Thanks Tim Clauson
Last edited by Tim Clauson; 2/24/18 at 6:11 PM. Reason: half the post was missing