Thread: D2
View Single Post
Wayne Davis (Offline)
  #47 2/1/18 1:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ray3:
Wayne, first thank you for asking. I know we haven't always agreed on things and I appreciate your question.

The short answer is no. The block, head and crank do not have to match (my engines do match in case anyone is wondering) but they don't have to. As long as it is OEM Chevy to OEM Chevy it would be legal. On the Chevy Ecotec specifically it actually saves money to use the 2.2 head over the 2.4 head because no mods are necessary, it elminates the VVT and there are more cam options for the 2.2 head. We have found that you DO NOT have to buy three different complete engines to get this. You can buy a head by itself, a block by itself and a crank by itself and still spend the same amount as if you bought a complete engine. Using a 2.0 crank in a Chevy Ecotec would be detrimental because you are likely not able to get to a competitive cubic inch limit using that crank.

If you put a 2.0 Ecotec crank in a 2.4 block you would only have an engine with 127.68 cubic inches for example.

One thing to understand about these OEM engines. They (Ford, Chevy, Honda, Chrysler etc) purposely use many of the same components from engine to engine. That is GREAT for the racers who want to use those components because it means there is more available long term.
Thanks for clarifying ....yes I know that about to 2.0 crankshaft...was just using it as an example...thanks again

Southern Outlaw Motorsports
Jacksonville, Florida
The Original Southern Outlaw

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com