View Single Post
9/24/17, 12:09 PM   #4
Re: Eldora racing surface?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Features were fine, There was no dirt left to throw.
Up to that point I see a complete total lack of respect for the fans and the racers. I guess track prep crew becomes the fireworks crew as soon as the first green flag waves as they couldn't even run some water down pit road or like Earl would do three our for times a event, run the firetruck and water the top to keep all the dust from blowing so bad you couldn't see. I seen a lot of consi's and features there that were dusty as hell. But I can't name a heat race in my 30 years going, that there were places on the track you couldn't see the dust was so bad. I seen at least a dozen fans wearing them little medical mask

I doubt Rico even seen the wall he was about to hit. I was sitting in one and I couldn't see him when he hit it. Then they qualify SC on a track with absolutely no grip

For a change I agreed with Ballou but they let him speek. Brady was a bit critical and they cut the mic on Tmez

Enough with the bad, I actually had a pretty good time. I had a perfect seat that was one of the few places not under roof not getting deluged with dust. The racing was pretty good and not blow outs when you could see it.

I seen a ton of people I had either never met or only see at the track. Had a great group sitting around me as the races were going on and as I said, the features were good and good viewing after it all got blown off.

The highlight of my day was going out to the VARC Vintage showing and seeing several of the cars I watched race as a kid, Like the Maude Smith sprinter and then I met the guy who restored the car I've heard talked about for the last ten years by Richard Hoffman. The 1971 #59 sprinter that they bolted a new front end on Talked with him for at least 45 minutes and a few of the Hoffman Crew actually came around and were pretty sure it was the exact car and Richard later confirmed it. It's a beauty. There is a actual sequential sequence photos of the wreck as it happened before they rebuilt the car. I can't remember his name right off hand but I think he said on IOW his name is RRC.

Congrats to the winners, Bayston, Leary, Bacon and Courtney. Sometime the race for the lead wasn't that great in the feature but it wasn't a blowout in any of em and there were certainly two, three four car battles for second and third all night.

Bacon is a Beast. 3rd, 2nd, 1st and 5th from 20th. Was glad to see DD, Steve and Carla Phillips have a good night. After telling everyone about Holly Shelton all night she wasn't doing so well in only her second time there (I think) then in the feature she drove the wheels off it gaining 8 spots for hard charger. WTG

Like I said, I had a pretty good night myself. But being honest. The track itself is every promoter's baby, Not the concessions, not the TV, Not the fireworks. You have to take care of your baby (Slack left his baby sit in a hot car and die). It's the reason fans and racers come in the first place. They should be able to see it at all times. Would you go to a NFL game if you couldn't see what was on the field? Sure, different conditions but still people come to *SEE* it.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/24/17 at 12:10 PM.