View Single Post
8/10/17, 4:56 PM   #22
Re: Mansfield (OH) $100,000 to win Sprints. April 27-28 201
GTigers55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team96 View Post
Speaking for myself as a team owner of a lower budget non wing sprint car team from SW Ohio and only myself.

We will absolutely go to and support bigger paying shows. But there are other criteria that have to be met as well.

What is the pay for outside of winning? How well is the show going to pay on back to 20th or even for tow $$?

Most non wing local races only pay $100 tow $. That does not cover the cost of loading up and driving to just about any track, let alone the pit passes to get in for the driver and 2 crew members. Put on top of that all the costs associated with running a car and you lose $ to go run any show that you do not make the feature.

Add to that the fact that my $18,000 800 HP motor will likely not compete against the bigger teams $35,000 to $50,000 900+ HP motors at a track the size of Mansfield or an Eldora. So, yes we would think hard about going to any big $ race at a big track that does not pay more than average $ beyond the top 5 or for tow money.

Winged racers will typically get more $ for tow $ and for placing in the top 20. So it is logical that you will get more cars at a winged show.

We are racing this weekend at Mansfield in all 3 non winged shows. Heck we might even throw on a wing and at least put the car on the track to collect the tow $ for the winged races.

But anyone expecting non winged budget racers to jump all over a big $ to win show that doesn't pay much more than the average local show to place or simply tow their car to the track far far away is probably kidding themselves. Racing takes $ and the more of it you have to put into racing the better equipment and more races you can get. For now, we will go to a local $1,500 to win show that pays $250 to start over a big $ show that includes a hotel stay and only pays the same to start. It just doesn't make sense to do otherwise for us.

It's one of the reason's we like the BOSS series. They take care of their loyal drivers and make sure it's worth it to haul the car other places than the local track.
Just a heads up since you mentioned it, Mansfield is only running on Friday and Saturday. They cancelled the Sunday race. Just thought I'd let ya know so you don't show up to a vacant track or rent a hotel for too many nights.