View Single Post
6/19/17, 12:18 PM   #23
Re: Hoosier Hundred Not being rescheduled
2140rc

I understand why everyone would like to see a rain date. But this isn't the first time this has happened.

My memory may be off but I believe both the 2007 and 2008 Hoosier Hundreds were cancelled because of rain and not rescheduled. And it also happened that way in the 1990s as well.

The apparent fact is that the race is only profitable when the out of town race fans are in town for the 500. Otherwise running the race doesn't make economic sense. Outside of the 500 most people in Indiana couldn't car less about auto racing let alone dirt tracks.

Maybe USAC needs to figure out how to improve their Silver Crown racing show so that it appeals to more casual fans and not have to just count on the hard core out of town fans that only show up once year. What the Silver Crown division really lacks is star power and I'm not sure that can be easily changed. Many local fans have never heard of most of the drivers. OTOH, look at the standing room only crowd that showed up for the Little 500 this year just because Tony Stewart was racing.

3 members like this post: fish, Jesse B, racer-x