View Single Post
4/28/17, 12:23 PM   #3
Re: Non wing racing in Pa
darnall

I am still amazed that some track or startup series hasn't jumped into some regular PA wingless racing in the last few years.

With all the weekly winged 410 tracks, the other few weekly tracks with winged 358/360 cars as the headliner, the 410 tracks that also regularly run 358s as a support class, the URC, all the racesaver tracks and the racesaver PA sprint series, etc there are hundreds and hundreds of active sprintcars out there.

If there are that many cars running regularly I have to wonder how many there are that have been parked the last 2-5 years due to finances..still sitting in the shop unused. At some point a low budget wing 410 team has to throw in the towel and decide that theres no point in spending 5-6 grand to rebuild one of their decade old 12 head motors. Decade old 358-360 motors themselves are still pretty equal with fresh stuff, but if they can't justify replacing the old Hilborn with 4 grand worth of Engler or DragonClaw during the next rebuild, and can't start twisting them another 800-1000 RPM like the fast guys do lately, those programs go from top 10 capable to field filler status in a couple seasons.

I realize they have the new crate motor nonwing series up there... but with a spec crate motor from a spec crate dealer with mandated carbs & everything and a spec transmission I don't see any current sprintcar teams converting. That thing will probably hit the exact same ceiling the Speedstrs did a few years ago. Nothing wrong with either class...30ish cars in existence with consistent 16-24 at each race is a pretty successful spec class.

But I have to think a steel block 1475# wingless track/series would be an immediate success. Theres already a pool of 200 or more racesaver-358-360 cars to draw from...and surely another 20-50 parked cars to recruit back into a game where motor rebuilds and drivetrain replacements last 4 times longer. Not to mention that without all the sheet metal a 550HP sprintcar doesn't really give up anything to a 700hp car.

And with all the chatter the Eastern Storm tour generates I know the fans would support more traditional racing. Glad to see the URC take a stab at a few shows. Hope it gets enough support to make somebody want to expand to 12-20 races next year.

3 members like this post: davidm, jim goerge, oppweld