Thread: Midget Motors
View Single Post
3/3/17, 9:46 AM   #56
Re: Midget Motors
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
Aces, Motorcycle power, and it's application in 4-wheel racing is a very broad field; it seems like what you think of when you are picturing a chain-drive 4-wheeler is close to an Outlaw Kart. One cylinder, no suspension, no way does it belong among "real" cars. That's probably how most people who aren't completely sold out to non-wing open wheel dirt track racing see most of the cars we race; I can't tell you how many times I've been at a gas station with my open trailer and some guy asks "Is that a dune buggy?", and I sigh and give them the best education I can in the time it takes to put 16 gallons of Unleaded in my Sonoma. Go to my profile and look at my albums, then tell me, at certain angles, if you can tell if it's a Midget or a "Mini Sprint"; I don't call my car a Mini or Lightning Sprint, or even a D2 because I have 340 more CC than they'll let me run and they don't feel sorry enough for me to give me that much of an advantage, so I prefer to call it a "Montpelier Midget" because that's exactly what it is. Heck, I even burned the wing spuds off to leave no doubt. Once I get the electronics debugged I figure my Hayabusa should put out close to 200HP and the good 1000's are probably right up there too, which is just about what an Engler-injected Ecotec should do too. How the power gets to the wheels should be (in my opinion) irrelevant. A lot of guys think your idea of putting a transmission in a Sprint Car is worse than not resonant, it's downright sacrilegious so where do you get off saying chain drive "doesn't resonate"? Just kidding, I hope you figured out by now I mean no harm...
I understand your confusion, I see Modified and Late Model guys looking at us in the pits every weekend like we have 2 heads but hang around with us for a while, get your butt in the seat of one of these things (Midget, Sprint Car, take your pick) and you might begin to understand. I got a chance 2 seasons ago to spend a night in a Spike powered by a Focus after my old oil-cooled GSXR 1100 commited suicide on the front stretch the week before and honestely, I couldn't really tell the difference, other than it had power steering, which I now covet. Could I tell the difference if it was one of Keith Kunz' TRD's? I imagine I could but that's not what we do at this level. I'd sure like to give it a try though...
I've trashed the idea of a trans due to its cost. I do like the "Spec Sprints" way of using a 2 barrel carb and a starter, very economical, inexpensive and user friendly. Back to MC engines and racecars, my background is in shocks, I worked for 6 years for one of the major brands before they sold out, we use to handle all the shocks for 600 Racing Legend cars. The legends run an MC engine, how are they different from what your running? I know they don't use a chain...