Thread: Daytona 500
View Single Post
2/27/17, 10:04 AM   #13
Re: Daytona 500
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

I generally no longer watch Nascar, its been in decline at least as long as Brian France has been at the wheel and seems to only move further from its base or any semblance of its former glory. I am glad that dirt racers and others have a professional league they can aspire to for fame and fortune, but I won't silently sit by and pretend that's enough or acceptable. First, I DO applaud them for building a safer car and for not being afraid to obsolete older designs by adjusting their basic dimensions to allow for better survivability, many dirt sanctions could learn from that in my view, some times tradition blindly impedes safety, needlessly.

The problem with the actual racing starts, at least on the super speedways, with allowing "Bump stop/coil binding setups", same issue with current DLM sanctions. What this does is make "aero" to large a part of the overall package and hinders close racing and drives up cost. Next comes restrictor plates, they just plain suck and have no place on an elite level, "professional" race car. If they want to slow the cars down, drop the spoilers off, skinny up the tires and ditch the air dams. Make it where you have to lift in the corner, the way it is now they just flat foot it around the track and hope somebody bobbles or their spotter has them make the wrong move. It would be more entertaining to watch traffic on I-285 going around Atlanta than to watch "Pack Racing" at Daytona & Talledega. In an effort to generate excitement they've had to resort to gimmicks and bizarre rules, phantom debris cautions and time outs in an effort to spice things up. They got lucky yesterday with the final 20 laps being interesting, but it was the exception not the rule. Go back and look at some Daytona's from 1968 and earlier, before aero and restrictor plates, it was a whole different ball game. I grew up aspiring to climb the ladder to Nascar, but I'm actually glad now it didn't work out for me, because I would've retired early too like a lot of guys are doing now, out of frustration and disillusionment. I hope they continue to decline in ratings and numbers in the hopes they'll finally wake up and stop listening to their inept, "marketing moonies" and right the ship.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 2/27/17 at 10:06 AM.

2 members like this post: superstock30, team3521