Thread: Donny Schatz
View Single Post
2/13/17, 11:08 PM   #7
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

I think there are a number of factors to look at in this discussion, and those who simply brush Donny off are letting their bias affect their view. The guy has won 20+ WoO races in four consecutive seasons, and if his performance with the All Stars this past weekend is an indication of things to come, he'll make it five straight this season. That is very Kinser-esque.

One thing to consider is competition. Steve raced with some of the greats, but I've always wondered if the cars were as mechanically close in some of Steve's days as I think they are now. I find it hard to believe the TSR team could be miles ahead of the Kasey Kahne cars, Kyle Larson's car, the CJB car, etc. Admittedly, I'm not old enough to know how competitive the other cars were in Steve's days, so I can't make any justified conclusions on this point.

Some of you have brought up the versatility element, and Steve gets the obvious nod there. However, I believe Donny showed some potential is a diverse driver last month when he missed the Chili Bowl A main by a single position in what was I believe only the 4th or 5th time he'd ever been in a midget.

I do think it would be an exaggeration to say Donny is as good as Steve, but I think those of you who are dismissing him by saying he's not even in the same ball park are exaggerating as well. He's doing some Kinser-like things. I've already mentioned the 20+ win streak. Can't forget that he won 9 out of 10 Knoxville Nationals, including a drive from the B main. Like I said, I'm not going to make the argument that he's quite on Steve's level, but I think he's closer than some of you are suggesting. Either way, try to appreciate what this guy is doing while you can whether you like him or not. What he does is immensely impressive, and guys like him don't come around very often.