View Single Post
1/11/17, 11:09 AM   #21
65 Push Truck

I enjoy reading up on the changes of drivers and teams, like the hot stove league in baseball used to be in the old days. I'm not sure the whole money and cost of operation thing is the problem with non wing racing. There seems to be plenty of sponsors to run multiple midget teams and drivers for the Chili bowl. All those teams for a $10k payoff and $800 for last. No money to be made there for building all the cars, expense of travel, paying drivers (if they do) etc. Why weren't there 300 cars for the Rock N Roll shootout at the Badlands, it paid $50k???

I don't have the answer for where and why sponsors spend more of their money on wing and midget racing now. Maybe more sponsor logo room on a wing, but much less on a midget, so maybe not. The cost of operation, not even close. A wing team will cost double or probably triple the cost of a good USAC team. Much more travel for a IN driver and wing team, fewer wing races in IN. No way you get more than one night on a right rear wing tire. Brent Beauchamp said he won features on old tires, as well as Kyle Cummins has. Wing cars cannot not have adjustable shocks like a non wing, so multiple shocks needed. The price of the wings. Kyle Cummins had 50 shows on his motor in the 3R car last year and won his last show of the year. I think most wing engine builders say 15 nights then a $7500 refresh if nothing broken or worn above normal rings, bearings, and lifters etc. if it doesn't grenade on its own.

It seems to me that our economy is pretty good right now for individuals and company's to have the extra $$ to put into racing. Where they chose to put that money is the part that is sometimes hard to understand. If it was quality of product I think hands down non wing racing is better than the wing cars event, though I like both. So maybe not that. Maybe national media attention, used to see USAC on Wide World of Sports and ESPN with regularity. You can watch Late Model and Wing shows just about everyday on satellite TV, and major networks every so often. I am thankful for Jackslash on trying to get more non wing races out there for people to see, its great to have MavTV on DirecTV.

I wish I had the answers, but I don't. I don't think it tire rules, the amount of tires, engines, or consumables (oil, fuel, travel) as much as it is that money folks are choosing to spent in other forms right now. 40' stacker trailers, toter homes, and fancy pit vehicles are tons of money and the pits are full of them and they have nothing to do with winning a race. If you look at it in reality that is more than 2/3 the cost of racing a non wing team. Just to get it there in style, and better than the guy beside you....hmmmm I always have pulled for the low budget guys myself. Look at Shark Racing in WOO. Two car team with a piece of trash trailer, old dually, no paint of the frames, minimal graphics, only one spare motor and frame for both guys, and dang they were fast. Loved it. Young guys out having the time of their life.

Sorry for the rant on cost of racing. Back on subject. Kyle Cummins will be back in the Hank Byram, Rock Steady Racing 3R this year. They are sporting a new Mach 1 set to debut down at Bubba Raceway Park.