View Single Post
10/31/16, 4:11 PM   #71
Re: USAC to mandate safety changes
Daddyz

I'm curious to see what USAC comes up with. My concern with making safety changes based on a single incident. There are many different things that can go wrong in a racecar.

Say, for instance a driver comes down hard on the track and suffers a spinal compression injury, similar to what happened to Kevin. Would a halo at that point hinder EMS from extracting the injured driver? I don't know the answer to that, but if halo's become mandated, I hope somebody has given that consideration.

It seems every choice we make is a compromise. I've never had my driver run arm restraints even thought they're mandated by most sanctioning bodies- it's a compromise. I'm as concerned with all the items he has to remove to get out of the car in a hurry in case of a fire (head and neck restraint, wheel, belts). One more thing to get tangled up. But his car has high side panels that should help keep his arms inside the car. Compromise.

It's true there's no safe racing. But we can learn and improve, we just need to take a level headed approach to mandating changes.