View Single Post
7/22/16, 5:04 PM   #17
Re: Hot Weather for Kokomo & Beyond
Spi-nex

More of a business decision. Fewer and fewer fans are willing to sit through the heat to watch racing. Sure the track "can" run, but when the people don't show up the track takes it in the shorts. A business cannot willfully and knowingly open its doors and take a loss just to accommodate a select few hardcore supporters looking to get their speed fix.

It really sucks that society continues to progress into a "must always be comfortable" way of life. My grandfather never allowed an AC to be installed in his house. I bailed hay as a kid in full jeans and long sleeve shirts. Worked the fields detasseling. Got used to working in the heat so it never really bothers me so long as I can stay hydrated, but no one seems to have any endurance these days.

Unfortunately short track racing is not strong enough to change society and as long as society continues its push to the "fair weather" side of things, most tracks will have to bow to them in order to survive. Some places have enough of a hard core base to be able to get away running in adverse conditions, others do not. Sucks, but as they say, is what it is.

5 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, Peterman, racefan20, Tim Bookmiller, Tom23