View Single Post
MRAY3 (Offline)
  #18 4/9/16 10:18 PM
Dad, if the rules say 166 cubic inches, then I’m fine with checking bore and stroke. If the rules say “stock,” I’m not ok with a simple bore and stroke check. If the rules say no machining, grinding, sanding, or reshaping of the ports, and ports must be left as cast, use a bore scope down the intake runners. If a formal protest has been made, remove the injection manifold, measure and look. If the rules say stock cam, I’m not ok with simply measuring lift and looking for part numbers. The ONLY way to PROPERLY enforce a “stock” cam rule is with a camshaft measuring system (Cam Doctor, Cam Pro Plus, etc.) and you must have all the factory specs. When they say “stock” does that include deck heights and squish areas? What are the factory specs and tolerances? In today’s world, if you DQ somebody, you had better be ready to back up your ruling in court. Some people don’t take Defamation of Character lightly. I have been around this racing game for a while. I have been an engine builder and engine tech inspector for everything from Karts (2 and 4 cycle) up to and including Indy cars. For eleven years, I measured and inspected every engine that qualified for the Indy 500. I’m a black and white kind of guy. Whether there is a performance gain or not, rules are rules. If you write rules, you must be able to enforce them. Positively determining whether or not an engine is “stock,” in a timely manner, at the race track would be quite a task. I’m not so sure any of the D2 organizations are quite up to that task. That’s my never - to - be- humble opinion.

Mark Ray
7 Likes: DAD, DirtHawk92, i love dirt track racing, Pat O'Connor Fan, Ray3, TQ29m, trannyman