View Single Post
4/9/16, 9:01 PM   #13
Re: D2 Midget Engines - Here We Go
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby01 View Post
This is exactly how a 2.3 pinto and a 153 Chevy II became $40,000 National midget engines.We as a group continue to make these same mistakes.Why as group do we keep making the same mistakes as far back
as the days of the V/8 60 Ford and the Offy.I guess my question is why do we expect a different outcome.
Leave them stock and go race.
Bobby

The difference between these litle motors and the V8 60 or iron duke is they start out much much more efficient than the old Iron Motors...They don't need a lot to perk them up and are quite capable of running very good in stock condition. The other thing is they get better every year. Now Super Chargers and Turbo Chargers are coming into popularity and motor size is shrinking..At 70 years old I guess I shouldn't be too hep on change, but the only way to keep cost down is to keep current and update as motors blow up and they will do just that. Forget about repairs and rebuilds just too expensive Bob. These guys are designing these engines for way over 100,000 in durability on the streets with Jr trying to blow them up. The parts are plenty strong stock. The newest engines have what is called direct injection kind of like a diesel and guess what they increased compression and Horsepower came along for the ride. To be a success this series has to think different than the other older classes.

The mini sprints worked this way for years unfortunately engines for them are becoming more expensive and harder to adapt to the cars. Right now the D2 seems to be the logical answer.

There is a ton of power left in these engines and I wouldn't be too surprised if the National divisions upped their displacement to 2500cc's for DOC engines to see somebody build one for serious competition.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/9/16 at 9:08 PM.

1 member likes this post: midgetfan1962