Thread: Nascar ?
View Single Post
3/16/16, 12:23 PM   #2
Re: Nascar ?
Nate

I think the problems with NASCAR are deeper than what the powers at be say they are. I for one use to be a big fan back in the day, now I may flip it over if I'm in front of a TV on Sundays to watch the last few laps, that's about the extent of my involvment.

One major issue is their audience. Their ratings are down and every time I do flip on the TV to watch the stands are half empty. People say its not a big deal but if you're any kind of fan you know it is. Dirt tracks (or small pavement) go under all the time if they can't get fans in the stands. Latest example: Illiana Speedway. Additionally if they can't get people to watch or come to races then why would all of these big name sponsors keep spending all that money to help fund race teams. Being a sponsor isn't cheap. Even title sponsor Sprint has jumped overboard.

Then of course if the sponsors do jump ship on some of these teams how are teams expected to field cars without that major cash flow? There is already a huge disparity in competition in that series. Besides at their plate tracks you can pretty much guarantee that the winner is going to come from one of the following teams: Gibbs, Hendrick, Penske or Stewart-Haas. The rest are out there turning laps, and it's not very entertaining. Who want's to sit there for 4 hours and watch a race in which 3/4 of the cars aren't even on the lead lap.

As for the lower divisions...I don't even know how they survive, I'd have to think their ratings are even worse and there is nobody in the stands for those series. If it comes down to money I don't know why you'd even field a team in Xfinity or trucks, you can make more money taking the start n park route in Cup.
Last edited by Nate; 3/16/16 at 12:36 PM.