View Single Post
2/6/16, 12:42 PM   #24
Re: USAC Now Allowing 15-year-olds to Compete
dirtracer74

The issue is times are different today. When I promoted, my insurance company said 16, with a valid drivers license. No exceptions. Today, these 15 year old kids already have 10 years of experience behind the wheel. Back in the day, you could not race anything till you were 18, sometimes 21. Now, there are SO many options. The experience level has changed drastically in the last 10 years, let alone the last 25.

I saw a few people that talked about the old times, and having to be 21, and stuff like that. I have a rule book here, that clearly states no women are allowed in the pits. Things change, it is part of life.

Not sure about the panel of drivers approving other drivers either. Then it turns in to the buddy-buddy system. The 15 year old Kinser with no experience would get approved before a 15 year old Smith that has been racing since he was 6.

Would you rather have that 15 year old that has been racing since 6, or the 21 year old who is in his first year? You need to take care of the poor drivers, regardless of age and experience level.

This is a tough deal, but things are very different today, than they were just a few years ago.

7 members like this post: fish, Jerry Shaw, Jerry Spencer, oneal7778, spicoli, tirespinner, TQ97