View Single Post
12/20/15, 11:37 AM   #18
Re: D-2 Focus engines
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguy View Post
Isn't a stock Focus 86mm bore x 86 mm stroke? 86 mm = 3.3858"; the 2.011 number is obviously an error,
We were allowed to run aftermarket cams in Focus motors in the Illini Series and Johnny Heydenriech actual won a dirt feature in one this year. It was a very dry slick track.
Even bumping the compression and changing everything allowed won't make up for .4 liters more compression. Its like running a 360 sprint car vs. a 410 with no weight break. Having run a Scream Focus, a Scream Focus with comp cams, and a completely stock 2.0 liter Honda F motor against the 2.4 Liter Ecotec I wouldn't advise spending a dime on the Focus. Neat little motor with 1990s technology that won't compete with current stuff, Stock Focus was 140 HP, Screams were 185 HP. Cammed Scream Focus maybe got to 205 HP. The top Ecotecs have to be 250/260 HP based on track speed.
Gear

.4 liters isn't too much of a disadvantage. How can the cycle powered cars give up 1.4 (one point four liters) to the Ecotec's and keep up? Look what Esslinger is doing with a 50 year old design. The Focus motor might need a little more work but I bet the little Ford can get their numbers up and be made competitive.

I think what Wayne is saying is that semi-pro racing is always going to be regional by nature. The groups need to be able to adapt the rules to meet the conditions that they race under. In the Indiana area there are quite a few old Focus cars that could be up dated to be made competitive cheaper than making a power train switch.

I like the idea of National guide lines, as opposed to rules. Rule makers always tend to paint themselves into the corner when they make rules too specific. Then they try to fix that fact by installing an option rule. Wayne is using the option.

The Focus will probably die out in a few years hopefully of natural causes. The Ecotec also will hopefully vanish from the scene. The reason engines stick around longer than their useful life expectancy is because rule makers make the rules or specifications so specific that the only power plant that can be raced is the one they wrote the rules for 50 years ago. Making improvements on old designs is one way to improve an engines performance but it can also be very expensive.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: The Old Coyote