View Single Post
11/19/15, 3:20 PM   #17
Re: Umra- king of the tq midgets
darnall

I have no dog in the this fight other than an appreciation for the historical significance of the TQ class. I really like how they have stayed true to the long standing practice of running a midget type driveline instead of just becoming another class of chain drive micro/mini sprints (in Indiana anyway).

I do have a few questions for you guys that own these cars though... can you tell me what all goes into converting one of the newer 600/636 motors into a driveline motor? I am under the impression that rules state the cars can not have functioning clutches and gearboxes. I am wondering how much of the original tranny and engine gets removed,modified and what has to be fabricated/modified or purchased to use a u joint and what it actually bolts up to (crank or tranny primary shaft or????)

And also knowing that these motors run upwards of 15-16,000 rpm, and being under the assumption that the ujoint is mandated to be 1 to 1 with the crank, I am wondering if it has been difficult to get quickchange or ring and pinion sets with a deep enough ratio to wind em up on the little bitty fair race tracks.

If anybody could answer some or all of these questions I would be very thankful, and if this post is considered a thread hijack I will be glad to move this to it's own thread.