View Single Post
10/26/15, 11:18 AM   #29
Hotshoe65s

Late models cost way more than a sprint car to run weekly. Maybe a WoO wing sprint costs as much as a late model, but I highly doubt it costs more. There is just more to a late model. There is more technology and technology means more $$$. And please don't try to argue that fact. Go to the Indy museum and look at the 1920's Indy cars. Sprint cars are running the same style suspension that they ran nearly 100 years ago. Now that's all fine and dandy and they put on great races, but from a technology and engineering aspect, sprint cars are boring. Maybe that's a small part of the popularity difference.

And for reference a brand new Club 29 (a popular chassis brand) with good parts is around $45,000 for a roller. A brand new wide bore engine is around $45,000 as well. It costs around $90,000 or so to build a brand new top of the line late model capable of winning the big races.

But I think the main problem in sprint car racing is the level of envolvement on the fan's part. Late model racing fans know everything about the drivers and their chassis, engines, etc. I know people who love sprint car racing but they couldn't tell you what kind of chassis Darland runs. In late model racing that's a huge rivalry. And also sprint car drivers play an ongoing game of musical racing seats. It makes it hard for fans to identify with drivers when they are in a different car and different number every other race. Sprint car racing as a whole needs to get better at building brands. Drivers need to stick with the same numbers and need to keep the same general car look to allow fans to build a bond with that driver and car. The old school Indy style of numbering and lettering the cars to identify with the team isn't as effective as identifying with the drivers. It may be good for those of us who are hardcore fans, but to the average fan they just care about the drivers.
Last edited by Hotshoe65s; 10/26/15 at 11:21 AM.

3 members like this post: fish, smith19, spicoli