View Single Post
8/27/15, 11:47 AM   #22
Re: Justin Wison news conference
Stevensville Mike

Without arguing the point any further, my feelings are that IndyCar's hand is forced. They have to institute a safety device of some sort to prevent debris intrusion into the cockpit or to the head.

Options are out there. And yes, there is pro and con. Canopies: Perhaps a driver can get trapped inside in a bizarre incident, but why does the canopy have to be locked? Perhaps it is as simple as hinging it at the front and flipping it back over the driver. The canopy can even have vent holes for driver comfort at specific spots. Or a roll/head bar of the sort that can be easily flipped back/forward to egress the cockpit.

By running a spec chassis this series can institute this saftey aspect easily. Just like you could in Lights, GP2, GP3, or any other spec series. F1 has a different issue - the cars are all custom built. A standard canopy type device could help some more than others aero wise. But that is their issue should they pursue it.

Some of you make good points, like I said earlier, about removing the aspect of excitement from the sport. Racing is always evolving. Look at IndyCars alone from the 90s, the 80, the 70s, the 60s, etc. Racing never stays the same. Cars change, technology changes. Watch ESPN Classic when they air an old NASCAR race from teh 80s with the in car camera. The driver's head, with an open face helmet, is well above and beyond the seat, with no head rest/support, looking like it is on the end of a bobblehead, just waiting to get knocked off.

Look at a NASCAR stocker inside now.

Someone else pointed out how far an open wheel driver's head used to stick out and above the cockpit years ago. Look at it in comparison now.

No..... when something like this happens, the sanctioning body has to do something. Imagine if this happens again without them doing something. it is not like Wilson crashed. He was HIT by debris. HIT BY DEBRIS. As Tim pointed out in his Wallenda high wire analogy, that would be like Wallenda being struck by a hawk and falling.

CTtoPA, we have to contemplate this after every incident. As I asked before, if you could have put something in place prior to Pocono to prevent this from happening to a driver, would you have? Of course you would have. Then why don't we do it now to prevent it again?

brian2h, I am sorry for you perils in racing. Could you honestly address a group of young drivers with your opinions/angle? But, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

IndyCar's hand is forced, folks. If not and this happens again, they have blood on their hands and the backlash will be overwhelming, perhaps too overwhelming to overcome, from both non-racing fans and racing fans alike.

Now, I am done with my side of this. We'll have to let it play out. Thanks to those for bringing up a lot of good banter about excitement of the sport, safety of the sport, dilution of the sport, and the future and past of the sport. No matter what they do, we will still watch.