View Single Post
8/25/15, 11:03 AM   #15
Re: Justin Wison news conference
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtoPA View Post
Racing is inherently dangerous. Why do we contemplate this after every fatality? USAC killed them wholesale in the 60s and racing still lived on.
Some weeks back I was driving and listening to one of the NASCAR talk shows on XM Radio (I was really, really bored). The topic of racing safety came up, to which the question was raised, "Has the element of danger in racing been diminished to the point that racing is too safe?". It was interesting to hear the calls coming in and equally interesting was to hear Chocolate Myers leave me with the impression that he feels the danger has been diminished to the point that some interest has been lost. I am no proponent of negating the safety advances seen to this point. I have been thinking, however, about the question of racing being "too safe", and I'd like to offer the following observations.

While driving a race car takes the afore-mentioned skill, focus and stamina, etc., are we forgetting that the other element required, as highlighted by the tragic events of days of old along with recent times, is courage? We celebrate the exploits and achievements of the drivers but, in my mind, the first thing necessary to strap into a race vehicle is the courage to face serious injury or worse. If that element is reduced to the point of racing being completely safe, then what courage does it take to compete? And, if there is no danger element, does the fan interest diminish to the point of non-attendance? We watch Nik Wallenda walk a tight rope across Niagara Falls or the Grand Canyon on national TV but would it be as entertaining if he was wearing a safety harness should he fall? It would definitely be safer but the two things that make it entertainment, danger and courage, would be lost.

Again, I'm no proponent of negating the safety aspects of racing today especially as my son, the father of my grandchildren, straps in when we race. And I don't have the answers. I just hope we don't establish safety to the point of eliminating the thrill of our sport to our fans, and us. As one article I saw today stated, the only way to make racing totally safe is to stop doing it.

Just a few things I've been pondering.

Tim Simmons