View Single Post
8/5/15, 10:42 AM   #5
Re: Division II 2.0 turbo midget engines
DAD

Wayne

Good to see that you (using the words of Gene Autry) are back in the saddle again or at least back at your key board.

Technology is a wonderful thing and also a frustrating thing. Things are changing at light speed. Here today gone tomorrow. The age of a motor platform hanging around for 60 years or so is gone with the declining popularity of the V8 Chevy. The other day I took 2 engines over to the core buyer a 350 Chevy truck motor and a 4.6 Ford late model V8. The Chevy fetched $225.00 the Ford brought $40.00 or dirty aluminum price. Recycle is the buzz word. The Echotec and Durotecs are heading down the dirty aluminum slide.

In the wings are the little not necessarily Turbo but "FORCED INDUCTION" 2 liter and smaller engines. They will also be blessed with things like "Direct Injection" of fuel into the combustion chamber AKA Diesel type injection system. This will not lend itself to well to Methanol I would suspect>>> but then with their efficiency we could probably expect 30 or so race laps out of just a couple of gallons of Gasoline or "Kicapoo Joy Juice" that will no doubt be developed for these motors by the petroleum company's.

Now looking into rule enforcement. Street stock is great you can do most of that with visuals>>>Crankcase port for internal inspection>>>Dial gauges for cam lift>>Exhaust manifolds on a turbo is what they are sometime they even incorporate the Turbo into the manifold. But don't rule out Mechanical Supercharging this is another avenue some manufactures have decided to explore.

Mini Sprints and Micro Sprints had the advantage of all of this type of technology for the last 20 or so years I fear that this same technology may soon make these motors not practical for the racer. Midgets need some technology to bring them back into the fore front of open wheel racing and I thing these motors could just fill that need. Mini Sprints are helping the Midgets come back to life. Do not forget that fact and make rules against chain drive. The time will come when whatever platform will show it's worth in racing and the majority of the racers will choose that platform to race with. But ruling out the experimenter and innovators will hinder the development of Division II racing. If some guys hadn't looked at the little Ecotec and Durotec Motors several years ago and said hey these thing have potential this Division II thing would have never materialized.

I got to go to work so lets get into enforcement a little later.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan