View Single Post
6/19/15, 3:41 PM   #6
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones752 View Post
The article points out several things that could be done better by any track, racing organization and car owner
Fire crews should be properly equipped with everything needed in an emergency situation, including Nomex uniforms or turnouts and face protection.
The starter should have thrown the red instead of staring at the conflagration.
Fuel shutoffs should be installed at the tank and dash and clearly marked (note to self: get a label on my tank shutoff).
Murphy switches (that shut off the fuel pump when oil pressure drops to near zero) on electric pumps, or mechanical pump.
ALCOHOL ONLY: are you paying attention Jackson County, and other tracks that require gas? Stock is not always best.
Quick-release steering wheels (the article says he was pinned, hopefully he just forgot about the quick release in the chaos).
Aircraft-quality plumbing.
SFI-spec tanks or bladders.
SFI 3.2/5 minimum clothing.
I have no idea how many of these items were in place on this car, but seeing a picture like that sure makes you think.
Good job Andy; I hope we all have the presence of mind to act quickly in a similar situation.
Jim, I outfitted Chase in PXP underwear and head sock, K1 suit, shoes, gloves, and a Bell Helmet. Nothing charred, burnt or sacrificed. His mom said he had a tank and bladder combination. So his safety choices held up it seems.