View Single Post
6/15/15, 2:37 PM   #62
Re: Hi velocity intakes
MC@Performance Fab

There's been a ton of interest in the crossplane motor and a lot of people have tried them however most gone back to the standard motors. The deal is they come out great but half way down the straight their out of steam. Things that have helped, trimming the airbox and flashing the ecu to remove the factory restrictions. Choosing the correct RPM to turn them has also been a bit hit & miss.
From my side of things there's been no end of people asking for help but the price has always been a big issue, $900 airboxs don't sell that well so I've taken my time deciding if and how to approach this particular motor package.
We tested my new package this past weekend, in a Winged Minisprint on a fast, very tacky 3/8 mile track. Ran 2nd in the heat, he's blown away. Made some changes with the autotune before the Main, started second row, grabbed the lead on the second lap and pulled away from the field. 3/4 thru the race there's a caution, car overheats and looses power, typical R1...lol, he settles for second.
When I talked with him on Sunday he's amazed at the difference, the car isn't laying over at half straight, he can run the TOP as well as the bottom, never been able to run the top before, in fact he passed the leader on the top.
So there is some hope for the crossplane, add an external oil cooler to help keep it cool, and check out the pics below.
Monte
Attached Images
P1010078 (800x600).jpg (124.7 KB, 102 views)