View Single Post
5/29/15, 9:28 PM   #27
Wingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
(Not sure if that last statement was incredulous, but here goes..)

Yeah, the schedule does need an overhaul. I believe there needs to be an even balance of oval and road races, so I'll begin there.

This year, there are 6 oval races, and 10 road races (permanent & street) with an 11th announced for next season (Boston). This is definitely not a balanced schedule, right?

Ok, so would I drop any dates to even up the balance? Well, not necessarily. I wouldn't drop any venues, but I would do away with one of the "twin" races at Belle Isle. So that would negate the addition of Boston, and keep the ratio at 6 : 10.

BUT!, wait a minute, I'm also in the camp of people who believe IndyCar needs to be at Elkhart Lake, and Laguna Seca, so... that puts my ratio at 6 : 12. Uh oh, that doesn't support my balanced schedule theory!

That means we need to add 6 (!) more oval races, and expand the season schedule to 24 events. Is it doable? I'd like to see it anyway! So what are the 6 ovals we should add to the schedule? That is my question to all of you. Here are my choices...

Kentucky Speedway,
Michigan International Speedway,
Richmond International Raceway,
Gateway International Speedway,
Phoenix International Raceway,
..and either..
(6a) Charlotte Motor Speedway, or
(6b) Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Also, 2 of these oval races NEED to be before the 500!
I think a revival of the Copper World Classic would be a great way to start off the season!
Yes Please bring Kentucky back.

These guys are the best business on an oval. Napcar just a parade.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, jim goerge