View Single Post
4/18/15, 12:47 AM   #31
Re: Bloomington USAC/MSCS Updates
KingRandomUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARFprez View Post
How did the new class look tonight?
Despite only 10 Wing cars showing up, there is a lot of potential for the 305 series in my opinion. There's still a huge need for track time as everyone fought with their cars all night long. Handling and adjustments will obviously be learned with time. Same with some of the rookies and newbies to sprints or higher-horse-powered cars. Once they can get a feel for things, there'll be a lot more closer competition and perhaps even interest as things move along.

On a side note, Tusing and Fleetwood put on a heck of a show in their heat race. And Luke Bland (yes, the defending Hornet Track Champion) showed he wasn't scared of his new ride either.
At the moment it's easy to tell who has experience in a sprint car period. (And easy to tell with some of the names) But I think with time there is still room for this series to grow.
It'll also greatly help if a track like Lincoln Park will consider running them too someday. With at least 2 local tracks to run at, it'll justify the series a bit more much like many other series have 2-3 tracks they can run at every weekend. Also once a weekly-to-run cost is more widely known it could also help draw more cars later in the year or into next year.

Ryan did say in Victory Lane that the cars are fun to drive and do handle way different than a 410-NW. And that he had to forget everything he learned driving sprints and start over to even get a better handle on these things. Not a word-for-word quote, but that's the gist of his opinion.

I do expect car counts to stay low for most of the year, but i think it'll still be interesting to see these drivers get better with seat-time. Also, thinking back to when Bloomington started the Hornet class, the first year they only drew in maybe a dozen cars a night. But as the year went on and then into the following two seasons, they were drawing 30-40 of them every week. No, the Racesavers won't grow that big that fast, but with support I can see around 12-16 by end of season and 20-22 of them running in the 2016 Season. And again, if another track joins in on running them there could be a small boost to those numbers. Who knows, anything is possible. Let's see how things go in the next few weeks.

4 members like this post: davidm, HARFprez, ryan84, sprint17jr