Thread: What happened?
View Single Post
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #5 10/9/14 3:45 PM
A lot of things have to do with slicked off tracks.

A Number one is being packed way too hard and not enough moisture down in the track. I've seen tracks go all night with over a hundred cars running on it
without taking any rubber and I've seen tracks rubbered over before hot laps were done.

Wind, Sun and dust are major players even if the track has good moisture in it. If the top of the track drys before cars dig into it. Dust immediately gets spun into the surface and is abrasive to tires.

Two races come to mind for me as examples of good and bad.
50th anniversary race or USAC at Eldora and had a 50 lap feature. The really didn't touch the track all night. It was the middle of august and 90+ degrees. NO RUBBER at all, I think they ran mods and Eldora Stocks with it.

Gas City this spring, I think the first race they had this year and the Drivers Meeting lasted 45 minutes and another 15-20 minutes to get the cars on the track, The track sat over a hour after getting wheel packed. OMG, The B****ING I seen on here and facebook, They worked the track between heats and consis and everyone said those races were great. Talked with a track worker and he said the track was prepped perfect, It just sat for a hour before a car took a lap. INSTANT SLICK!

I know theres going to be back and forth about Tri State and IMHO its two much. Three track sessions in one night, But I sure don't mind one and a little spot work throughout a night to keep a track from Locking down.

I kinda love the way they've been doing Terre Haute and hitting trouble spots between the heats. A couple extra warmup laps and race! Track keeps widening but yet maybe by the end of the feature gets some rubber.

Charles Nungester