Thread: What happened?
View Single Post
10/9/14, 12:49 PM   #1
What happened?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

As I grew up, LBurg and other tracks ran shows with two premium classes and a support. It was always Sprint and Late Models and Beatles or street stocks or a type of modified.

Sprint and Midget shows once in awhile with CORA or NAMARS. I guess the fact that there isn't another org in the area kinda hurts that but Powri has ran a few at Bloom, and Tri State.

Seems now tracks are either LM or Sprint tracks and honestly, Both suffer because of it attendance. Mods are great but its becoming clear that its not the eco class that it was started to be and people are jumping ship pretty quick because to be a front runner you almost got LM funds in the car.

I don't blame the tracks too much but both top classes together would have great crowds.

The first time I ever showed up at Bloominton in 1988 They had a NW sprint and LM night 40 laps each and I think it was 2 grand to win in each There were 40 cars in both classes and I flat out loved it. The fact that Randy Kinser, Bob Kinser and Rick Hood ran three wide and a hard charging Greg Staab rom 17th was knocking on their rear nerfs trying to get by was just a bonus. Bob Kinser edged it out but it was one of the greatest NW races I ever seen. Then we seen Godsey, Petro, Gill and others in the LM's

Im not suggesting weekly, But maybe twice a year, Would it be worth say 25 bucks to see a couple 4 grand to win 40 lappers with the top two dirt divisions and no undercard?

Just looking or creativity, We have our racing favorites now, But I do miss the Downey and Herbert on the High Side and Gillardi and Englin on the bottom LM's as much as The great sprint racing we also saw.