View Single Post
8/27/14, 9:00 AM   #14
Re: Regional speedways all facing major challenges
SWScaleChassis

I was thinking about this this morning again, and as much as I said it was up to the fans to co-promote, I think it is equally up to any supporters and sponsors of a track, driver, etc.

We all see the banners, billlboards, etc with the local business that advertise there. Wether or not that the $$ has long since been spent and the billboard just hasnt been taken down, thats another story. But, what about a small display in the parking lot of the local donut shop, or breakfast cafe on saturday morning? Driver meet and greet, see the cars, ask questions, etc. Offer 2 bucks off admission with the purchase of a dozen donuts.

That puts the promoting into the sponsors and supporters hands. Draws attention from someone who's possibly never been.

Maybe instead of bringing people to the track to see the cars and stars, bring some out to the people.

Then you've got an incentive to have a clean car on Saturday morning, and hey, maybe a flashy looking car to catch the eyes of the mom and dad and kid out to take the dog for a grooming. They pull over to grab a donut and see the 'weird thing with that big fin on top'. Or that 'dune buggy looking car'. Later that night, they go to their local track. Mom enjoys the family time. Dad likes the chili dog and beer. Kid loves the racing. After the checkers, they see the same car that they saw that morning, in the pits. Muddy, driver in the firesuit. Dad buys a shirt for the kid. Driver signs the shirt, kid smiles, parents smile... Happliy ever after. Then dad goes to work, and talks up the racing, cold beer, bomb food, etc. Kid wears the shirt to school, talks about the racer he got the autograph from. Mom's happy that she didnt get dust in her hair, how much fun her husband and son had. Those 3 now told 3 more people. They ALL come back the next week. Now with a driver to cheer for. 3 more beers, 3 more shirts.. the ball continues to roll...

I think we've all at one point or another relied solely on the promoter to put butts in the seats, when with a little effort on everyone's part, we all have an oppourtunity to grow the sport.

4 members like this post: 2fast4u, bn kleen, Copperhead, Task Force