View Single Post
8/16/14, 4:10 PM   #7
Re: Berms vs Loader Tires
DAD

Tony

Berms also have bad features. They hold water after watering the track. They are a little harder to put in when cutting in the track, and they are easily abused by overzealous racers. Best I can remember Steve's rule was 2 tires coming out white OK, 4 tires you would be scored back one position, unless dodging an accident for safety.

With a light open wheel race car you sure aren't going to abuse a loader tire, they are very expensive wrecks, usually worse than banging wheels with another car. Now them old heavy fendered cars they being a bit heaver and without them wheels sticking out can sometimes brush right on by them things.

We had a great time last night, the guy gave us a very nice racy race track, and I couldn't believe the crowd he had in that place. He is doing a supper job over there and I can't wait to go back.

It might take a little more time but it would sure be considerate of track owners if they were to move those tires in 6 feet or so for the open wheel races and mark the turns with a little lime, and set forth some rules dealing with the lime lines. Open wheel drivers all pride them selves with their abilities to keep their race cars under control. Doug and I discussed his tire this morning. It wasn't a big white loader tire but a smaller Black unpainted tire, something on the order of a front tractor tire, and we think that somebody on the proceeding lap might have knocked it out into his groove and it just jumped out and bit him.

Many tracks don't deal with open wheel cars on a weekly basis and perhaps don't realize just how delicate these things are. The purpose of my post is to maybe draw their awareness to something I think is not even thought about by anyone but the open wheel racers.

There aren't many Steve Smiths left these days and I know all about how hard those things are to maintain, he told me on several occasions. One time to prove his points to the racers he cut a two foot berm in both turns and dared them to ride over it, that got their attention.

Honest Dad himself