View Single Post
7/30/14, 8:06 PM   #205
Re: bill gardner up date
Kansasdirtfan

I didn't meet Bill until last year at LPS, 4th of July weekend. There were quite a few around him, so I just introduced myself and picked up my IOW tshirt that he was holding for me. Before that and since, we exchanged a couple of PMs, and learned that we both have had experience in the graphics industry. That was the extent of my relationship with Bill. So, did I know Bill? No, not really. Not like so many on here who have been close to him for so many years. Then why is it that I feel such a profound sense of loss? I think there are a couple of reasons. One is that he provided me with a link to the pasttime I truly enjoy: open wheel dirt racing. Without that link, we in this flyover state would miss out on much of what happens in midget, sprint car and Silver Crown racing. But the other, more important reason is that through this vehicle that he so masterfully created, nurtured and managed (firmly but fairly, I might add), I've become acquainted with, and even friends with like-minded people with whom I would have otherwise never come into contact. As I read the many posts to this and other threads, that's the one thing that is most apparent to me...the number of friendships that have been built simply through a web site. I wonder if Bill ever anticipated that when he created Indiana Open Wheel. No, I didn't know Bill, but I miss him just the same.

My condolences to Bill's family and his myriad friends.
Last edited by Kansasdirtfan; 7/30/14 at 9:01 PM.