Thread: Gas City Update
View Single Post
7/28/14, 8:20 PM   #20
Re: Gas City Update
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Against my better judgement I am going to put my two cents worth in. First of all the original thread was hijacked and turned into something completely different than the heading implies. That happens quite often here on the IOW board. Wouldn't it be refreshing to not have this happen at all. When pigs fly I guess.

Secondly, this issue of attendance or lack of and low car counts happens around this time every year here in Indiana. This isn't just an issue at Gas City but other tracks are seeing it as well. The economy right now still has people hurting for disposable income and racing isn't the top priority for so many folks today. Putting food on the table seems to out rank taking the family out to the local bullring. Outside of a few shows including sprint week, I haven't been to a track this season that has had what I would call a great crowd on a regular basis.

As far as car count goes, I remember early in the season some grumbling about low car counts. It is what it is. All the complaining and armchair promoting won't make this problem go away. However, I have the solution. Starting on Friday night, push the chair back and turn off the computer. Get in your vehicle and drive to a short track here in Indiana and buy a ticket. Better yet, ask a neighbor, the kid next door, a co-worker or even the guy down the block that you don't particularly care for to join you. You might just make a race friend for life. When you arrive at the track, stop in at the concession stand and pick up a drink and a sandwich and maybe even a bag of popcorn. If you so happen to see one of the 50/50 ticket sellers you might even buy a ticket for a chance to leave with more money than you came with.

I know that you will be taking a chance that the bleachers won't be as comfortable as your computer chair at home, the dust might just be a little more at the track than at your house, and you might just be out later than 9:00 PM. Go ahead, what do you have to lose? Be careful, it can become contagious though and you might get hooked.

I can almost assure you that every promoter of a short track here in the USA are hoping that this will happen this weekend. They ALL need more butts in the seats.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante