View Single Post
7/24/14, 1:14 PM   #32
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I've brought up the same point about the looks of the cars and being able to see the drivers. After the race at Terre Haute I actually offered Robert Ballou sponsor money if he would run the next race there without an arm guard!!! He looked at me strangely and said,"I don't follow you." He seemed to be unaware that sprint cars ever ran that way. He asked a crew member if USAC would even allow it. lol. He then gave the standard excuse that rocks would hit his arm. Just a few years ago I ran my silver crown car at Eldora with no arm guard to appease fans against the crew chiefs advise. He said I was crazy but you know what, nothing ever hit my arm there in three races. The worst I ever got in a midget was a small bruise that I considered a badge of honor. Point is, today's drivers and owners just don't car much what the cars look like or what the fans like.
As far as the age of the fans goes, have the stands ever been packed with 20 something's? In 34 years of attending races it seems to me the crowd has always been dominated by older folks. They are the ones who can afford to go the most often. And as far as the little ones go, I got the feeling they were left at home for sprint week so parents could party it up. I had a blast hanging out with people and I think it's ok not to drag the kids along one trip a year so parents can relax and have fun. I did bring my 7 year old but it was a constant battle dealing with restroom visits, concession stand visits, and just trying to keep him sitting still during the action!

5 members like this post: DAD, DaveP63, fish, John P Huss, mc/rider