Thread: Gas City
View Single Post
4/19/14, 2:04 AM   #59
Re: Gas City
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Since Monteplier was another washout for tomorrow night I took a break from getting ready to check things out at Gas City. For what it's worth, my thoughts (in no particular order of importance):
From hotlaps through the heats, the track was horrible; given how dusty the track was for hotlaps I was surprised that they only watered down the exit lane before the heats.
I actually thought the midgets looked pretty good on the dry-slick; they may have been turning quicker laps that the sprinters at that point in the night. It was a little disappointing to see only 8 midgets turn up. I hope the count improves, but not to the detrement of Montpelier. If Mel decides to let the chain-drives in, that could only help. If I had gotten my trailer registered in time I would've considered taking my car tonight; I'd have gotten a top-ten my first time out!
To their credit, the track crew did a great job bringing the surface back from the dead for the Semi and features.
I've only been to G.C. a couple of times; it's tough for me to get off work in time most Fridays, but what's all the whining about the stands? Sure, they aren't the most comfortable, but I've seen worse, and there were plenty of decent spots that weren't taped off.
I thought Jerry Coons Jr. was going to put it to everybody from the back; he was flying early but faded when the track started to go away, then Stanbrough hit his stride and came to the front as Dave methodically worked his way forward too, but the Throttle had too much for everybody. His car looked like it was jumping out of the corners, he had so much more bite than everybody. Nice job in a new ride.
All in all, not a bad first night; not perfect, but there's plenty of nights to get better.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

4 members like this post: dirtball, PJ Wright, rapid robert, speed bump