View Single Post
4/1/14, 1:40 PM   #7
Re: 08 R1 lacks down low
DAD

Andrew

Here I go again. The Yamaha is a little weak down low, other than that it is the best all around motor for mini sprints.. They make gobs of power once they get some revs built up.. We use a very simple shift arrangement that allows us to start in first and bang it into second before the turn if we think we have to.. We run Kaw's and that usually is not required, but if we think it is you had better get out of the way because we are coming on thru. The ecm on most new bikes is mapped to prevent gobs of torque down low. They want their riders to last long enough to pay off the bike. Each gear has it's own map. First is most retarded or restricted, followed by second a little less and third even better. After third gear they remove all of the restrictions. Most of the restrictions are also removed after about 7000 rpm's also so if you come around in first at about 5500 or 6000 rpm's you are good to go.

I would recommend the strongest chain you can get your hands on. We had a guy do a first gear start while setting on the pole, he hit second gear and bang snapped his chain, messed up a whole bunch of race cars us being one of them.

If you check the bike mags they also make a device(resistors) that makes the computer (They really aren't that smart) think that it is in 5 th gear all the time, and that does help a little also.

We pitted next to a couple of cars this weekend at Du Quoin that had Mac's Induction systems on them and he does builds a beautiful unit. Better than Rosson's and lighter too I bet,>> can you say "BIG".

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 4/2/14 at 8:55 AM.