View Single Post
3/15/14, 3:46 PM   #7
Re: Winchester celebrates 100 years of Racing w/3 race sked
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by oljonesy View Post
what would you suggest he do? no more usac on pavement,which were always good shows. hoss or must see had lousy crowds and overpriced tickets for those high speed parades, which leaves what? i get tired of the camper situation and the drawn out shows sat nite at 400 wkend also,but to be at an event not just a race is worth it. suggestions folks?
I agree. What should they do?

Back over the years, ASA, ARCA, USAR Hooters Pro Cup, and USAC Sprints/Midgets were there quite regularly. The NASCAR Slim Jim All-Pro Series used to show up from time to time, too. Only ARCA and a small USAC Mideget series are left. All else are long gone.

Short of multiple CRA events, the guys that tour are AVSS/HOSS, Must See Sprints, the two supermodified series (ISMA & Midwest) and Top Speed Mods. Not to belittle anyone, but those are a tad of a step down from what ASA, USAR, USAC, etc., were back 10-20 years ago.

They would have to establish a weekly program of late models and mods, I guess. Or maybe some pavement sprints. Spartan Speedway up here runs pavement non-winged sprints every other week on Friday Nights. I was hoping someone else would pick them up on the "off weekends". South Bend Motor Speedway was a logical venue when it was sold/re-opened, but that never happened. Winchester is a haul from the Lansing area, but if another paved track could compliment Spartan Speedway, we might really be on to something around this area for bringing paved sprints back to a few tracks.

When was the last time/year Winchester ran a weekly program?
Last edited by Stevensville Mike; 3/15/14 at 3:56 PM.