Thread: Concerned
View Single Post
3/5/14, 3:13 PM   #13
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I still cringe when I see guys without gloves or nothing under a single layer suit. I never had the money to race much, but I never went on track without the best personal safety gear on from head to toe.
I hear you there. I may not have the best car but my safety gear comes first. Full containment seat, 3 layer suit, gloves, good helmet, and I always install new belts every year. The belts thing is something I saw first hand back in my pavement days. Saw a guy have a pretty good wreck and built a new car, he moved his old belts from the other car to the new and when we belted him in, one of the cinch points actually pulled apart. At first glance, they looked like new but after removing them, the webbing was almost an inch longer and most of the metal was stretched too. Safety gear should always take the top priority when budgeting each year as one of the safety instructors at GM Performance always told us. The other thing I was told and someone mentioned it in an earlier post, unless there's a fire or spill, always wait til the safety crew gets there and asks if you're ok before unhooking and climbing out. Just a good practice.

1 member likes this post: davidm