Thread: chassis setups
View Single Post
12/20/13, 2:12 PM   #6
Re: chassis setups
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I think writing the definitive manual on Mini Sprint setup, and then transferring that to successful application on one specific race car could potentially be more difficult (and painful) than learning to play bagpipes from a book...

Seriously though, the best stuff out there is from Steve Smith Autosports; I still refer to my old Sprint Car book written by Don Alexander in the 80's and the basics still hold true. While I've been rebuilding my Doemelt/Bailey/Leader's Edge-GSXR1127 Mongrel I'll bet I've watched Jimmy Sills' Midget Setup DVD at least half a dozen times so far and learned something every time, but the REAL learning will come every time I get out on the track and come back, tweak something (put it in the log) try it, repeat, repeat, repeat...

You said it yourself; one way might work for one and not the other. The only way you find that out for yourself is to get out there and see what happens when you roll off the throttle, stab the brake, steer just a tad to the right and squeeze that right foot back down. To me, figuring out how to make the end product a thing of beauty is one of the great joys in life.
Good luck. But most importantly, have fun!
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 12/20/13 at 2:32 PM.