Thread: The Moment ....
View Single Post
8/29/13, 4:59 PM   #7
Re: The Moment ....
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Clauson View Post
After Reading the Smackdown recap from Steve Eckert and especially the last paragraph it literally took me back and being 8 years old and probably the defining moment that hooked me to the sport of racing. I believe it was 1974 and Rick Ferkel was making (I believe and could be wrong) his first appearance at West Capitol Speedway and for what ever reason the Yellow #0 caught my attention. After the races it was all I could do to get back and Meet Rick. As we got down to where he was pitted I was devastated to see them all loaded up and backing out. At my dads encouragement I ran up and knocked on the window as they were rolling backwards and shouted something to the effect "that I had to meet Rick" ... I guess figuring if they didn't stop they were probably going to run me over, they pulled back in and got out of the truck and took the time to talk and to me and gave me a shirt, which happened to be an adult large so not so much a shirt but a dress, that I wore to school for a week. From that moment I was and still am a Rick Ferkel fan. In 1975 I began racing quarter midgets and the first trophy I won I packaged it up and shipped it to Rick. I never heard anything from Rick until that year at Gold cup when he was sitting on the front stretch getting ready to be pushed off I of course was hanging on the fence screaming at the top of my lungs. when I finally got his attention he gave me that wink and said make sure to come to the trailer after the races. Thinking that he never received my trophy I was shocked when he handed me a trophy he had won earlier in the year. It is interesting as I think about my formative years in the world of racing as it really wasn't the "racing" per sey, but the experiences at the track I remember.

Whether you are a fan, crew, owner, driver I for one would love to hear what was your "moment"

Tim Clauson

Posted via Mobile Device
So Tim did you ever get to race against Rick?

Jerry #66j
stida.com/Halfmoon/Colescotts Mobil-1