View Single Post
7/11/13, 2:55 PM   #62
Re: Attn: Mmsa mini sprints
openwheel44

Stock length after market steel rods present no performance gain if they weigh as much if not slightly more than stock rods. That is the premise here. And no......you don't have to change a bunch of other stuff to simply put them in the motor. Not if you know what you are buying and know what you are doing. Simply installing after market stock length, same weight rods does not make for a "built motor" as you call it. So explain to me how this simple procedure constitutes the statement MALS allows "built motors?" Wouldn't that mean we allow other modifications? Which we don't. Forgot to mention.....we also check compression and can scope the motor to check for piston abnormalities.

I personally don't have any problem with absolutely stock OEM components everywhere. That is way I have raced Lighting Sprints since we switched to the new 1000cc motors and got away from the old 1200's. Like I said......my motors are right out of the bike. Period. Have a mechanical issue......trash it and get another. Too expensive to split the cases on these motors.

What do you propose to do with the guys that buy an unknown motor, have it freshened to be safe and spend that money with the motor man? Hearing stories of $800-$1500 to get that done. Does that make it a high $$ motor too? That motor could cost you between $3000-$4,000 also. ????

No one answered the question...........who is actually teching at other races? How do any of you actually know what you are racing against? MALS is at least stating our rules and enforcing them the best we can. We're not saying we have all the answers but someone has to do something to get this class back on track. Maybe we need to tweak a rule or two but we are doing more than anyone else is at present the way I see it. BTW....MALS simply went by what our area races decided on at our last winter meeting.

This is why groups need to meet and come up with a set of standard rules..........THEN ENFORCE THEM!!

Look at IMCA motor claim system............not good. At least not around these parts.
Last edited by openwheel44; 7/11/13 at 3:12 PM.

1 member likes this post: Quantrill