View Single Post
7/8/13, 3:15 PM   #41
Re: Full Containment Seat Mandate
c47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
Todd everything you say here is CORRECT. I would like to ad however is he did not reinstall the the lift side net that was in that car...it is to my understanding that this was the backup car with the seat already in and he did not take the time to remount his FC seat. and did not like the bolt in head rest.........

Racephoto 1...QUOTE: Jason wasn't killed because he didn't have a containment seat. He was killed due to a mechanic's failure, either through leaving something loose on the car,, or lack of proper maintenance.Some people may be offended with this statement, but I'm old school.Something falls of the car and kills the driver, it's the mechanics fault.When I worked on race cars, nothing fell off one of mine. As for whether or not a containment seat would have protected him after the failure, I'd say yes, but there are no guarantees, though it would have increased his odds of survival.

Did the part just loosen up after several laps like hot laps /qualifying/6 laps in the heat or did the pressure from the weight of the car along with down force cause the splines to strip? one thing is for sure Jason's death was caused from BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA to his neck on the left side. The same side that the headrest was removed and no head net was installed. these are the facts
the stop was found on the track and the pinch bolt was still tight (torqued) and the splines didnt strip on the torsion bar. same senario with larsons wild ride at knoxville saturday but he walked away.....which i truely believe leffler would have as well if he had a full containment seat with a full headrest.....and its not just about the headrest that gives the safety to these seats....its about containing as much of the entire body during a wreck and trying to keep the movement to a minimum..... as far as the post asking about lefflers and burtons frames being the same, that was 2 totally different crash senarios....look at the pic of lefflers car sitting on the track....no major frame damage anywhere around the driver....the frame did its job. unfortunately, other things didnt.

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis