View Single Post
7/5/13, 10:58 PM   #20
fasster23

As mentioned earlier, open faced helmets were eventually banned and everyone was forced to buy a full faced helmet if you wanted to race. Same with roll cages, firesuits, gloves, and so on. Not open for discussion. Do it or don't show up. Surely we're not so short sighted that we can't learn from the past. Would anyone like to go run a cageless sprinter with goggles and wing tips shoes. Hell no you say? Well at one time there were a whole bunch of guys who did it every weekend and when the day came they were told they had to build a cage and buy a new helmet you think they were pissed? Hell ya they were, but looking back now doesn't seem really dang obvious it was the right decision? This is the same thing. I have a Butler Sprint Advantage seat in my car custom built to fit me and I can't ever see myself strapping in without one. A driver died from internal injuries where we race last year. It was pretty well determined it was due to a cheap Kirkey seat and belts that weren't tight enough. Do we need to continue down this path before the next major step in safety is implemented? We just need to make the obvious choice now so that when my grand kids talk to me about race cars in 30 years they can say "Who the hell would drive one of them things without a containment seat? That's crazy?!"

Posted via Mobile Device