View Single Post
7/4/13, 2:52 PM   #148
Re: What track did you grow up going to?
Game Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by double checkered View Post
Dorney Park in Allentown, Pa. Track is long gone. It has been replaced by amusement park rides. My dad wrenched on a stock car. Neil Beech and my mom painted/lettered it. Craziest mix of colors I ever seen.......plum crazy purple with orange numbers. Number 26. He won a few features, but his wife Gloria was really tough in the powder puffs. I can remember the smells of fresh paint on opening night. 55-57 Chevys made up the "late model" class and old coupes bodied the sportsmans. It was the tiniest asphalt "oval". It was really a circle. During intermission my sister and I would run into the amusement park and ride rides. We would return when we heard the engines. If the races got boring we would turn the other way and feed the deer in the field popcorn. I can't remember my first race, but I know dorney was the first track for me.

Posted via Mobile Device

Oh the memories of this place... Was just a little kid but I loved it.. Still today remember the "Flying Farmer" Paul Baushcer.. the 67 late model of Dick Ruth, Tony Hirschman, Doug Hoffman..

D.P. was one, but my mainstay was the old Nazareth half mile dirt track with my father. Many times we stood on the big Hill (under the billboard) across from the track to watch the races for free... Loved that track.... The other one we visited frequently was Flemington Speedway in New Jersey...

Man I loved those days and the memories are fresh like it was yesterday...