View Single Post
6/25/13, 8:27 PM   #70
Re: What track did you grow up going to?
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Haha! It was quite the rivalry that Selma's Vic Hellis had with Willow Branch's Bob Fields. I always remember that both had beautiful cars. The blue and white Hellis Muffler King #51 of Hellis versus the orange and black Fields Auto Parts #31 of Fields. I almost forgot about #00 of Ray Fullen and Jim Cooper, too. Jim Cooper always drove a #95, sponsored by Car Brite.

I liked ol' Darwin Blakenship, along with Herb Rose. In fact, I didn't really "dislike" any of them, but Bob was just my favorite. I know not many people were a big fan of Bob.

I also liked when they brought in Randy Sweet and CJ Rayburn a few times to try to break the world record. Those cars were WILD, but to a kid, they were so awesome.
I remember seeing Fullen hit the wall at the pit entrance in turn 3 one night. Drove the engine all the way into the cockpit. Dont think he raced for awhile after that. I first started going to races at Muncie Dragway. My uncle built it and I got to go behind the scenes and meet all the greats of the 60's dragway scene.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: nathans1012