View Single Post
6/25/13, 4:16 PM   #56
Re: What track did you grow up going too?
BeerCloud

Ascot Park

My dad took me and my brother to a sprint car race there in 74 i believe. When my mom went on a trip to see her folks, dad decided to take us out for a treat. Ive been hooked on sprint cars ever since.

I can still see Bob "flash" East setting quick time after quick time in the Coulter Chevy. When Gary Howard broke the 19 sec bracket. Bobby Olivero in the tamale wagon followed the next year by Rick Goudy. Clark Templeman in the blue #3 JFK car. Bob Meli's mean flip in turns 1 & 2 in the 78 car. Ive still never seen a car flip so fast. David Fair white pearl 96, Mike Shaw's african paint scheme #92, Jimmy Oskie was up front no matter which car he was in, a Dean Thompson slide job, Steve Howard in the #20 Cunningham chevy was as wild and exciting as can be, the California Cowboy Ron Rea in the beautiful King O' Lawn Chevy, Tony Simon, Kerry Norris, Max and Mike Sweeney. The Arizona group would come over with Lealand McSpadden, Ronnie Shuman and gang. When there was money on the line, nobody was better the Ronnie Shuman. I could go on and on with those memories.

All those ole memories brought me a new one, a couple of sprint weeks ago at Haubstaut. I went over to Mike Spencer car after the race and asked one of the guys standing by the car if this Mike Spencer was related to the Mike Spencer that used to race at Ascot. He said ya that it was his dad and pointed to him who was working on something in the trailer. He said to go talk to him. So I stood at the trailer door and asked him if he used to race at Ascot. He looked at me and smiled a little and said yes. I told him that i remembered him in the white and blue #64 car and his smile got bigger and that look in his eyes i'll never forget. I think he had a brief racer flash back idk. Great thread btw

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Indy1808, jim goerge, mtek56, nathans1012, racephoto1