Thread: Unwritten rule
View Single Post
6/17/13, 12:55 PM   #28
Re: Unwritten rule
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye_Openwheel View Post
Cecil98, I agree with most everything you said the danger is part of the allure of our sport , and it is nature aspect of our human psyche to be intrigued by death. I'll even go as far as to say that the ever prevalence of death is what makes what we do in life beautiful.
However the way in which we present that as media is something that needs to be handled with a code of ethics,
I have no problem with someone hanging on to photos, or discussing something that happened with friends, it's when someone post information or images that are available to all without regard to audience. This doesn't apply to fans just media or staff who have been granted addition privileges of access, information needs to flow through the correct channels.

I could discuss this to day's end but a professor I had in a journalism class told me "that 99% of what you do in this field will be exceedingly easy, so easy that almost anyone can do it, it's the other 1% that separates the professionals from amateurs" a situation of a severe injury death is one of those 1% instances. In my opinion any information other than so and so was injured and transported should come from the family or come at the discretion of the family of the injured party.

Pete Smith
Staff Writer luvracin.com
Ohio_openwheel on twitter
Buckeye_openwheel on Facebook

Posted via Mobile Device
Pete, Very thoughtful post and I appreciate your response. I don't "think" I can disagree with much of anything you wrote. I do have a question that might bring to me, though, more clarity in your opinion. I'll use several examples: Bill Vukovich Sr., Swede Savage, Sachs/McDonald, Gordon Smiley and Greg Moore. These were all fatals that have been memorialized and can be found and viewed online. The question is, are you OK with these being available for the public to view, or, do you believe they should be pulled and never viewed by the public again? I value your opinion and this is an honest question searching for an honest opinion. I look forward to your response. Thanks! Craig