View Single Post
2/28/08, 2:40 PM   #22
Re: Indy Car Stuff from today.
Crankin

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelKT View Post
...Changed, just not as much foreign invation....that's changing too though. The days of anything on the major level of racing in the U.S. being american drivers only is coming to an end. So if that's your major problem, I guess it's "local" racing only. Everybody has their choice. :checkered:
Yes sir, everybody has their choice, and the choice of average "Joe American Fan" is not Open Wheel racing. It's not a matter of wishing it was 1950 again, it's just a fact that both series are full of foreign drivers. Is that a just a coincidence? They have tried repeatedly to run an all foreign series here in America, it's called Formula 1... That (F-1), on the big sports page in this country, is so far down the list you need a search party to find it. Nobody cares.

To take it one step further, even the American drivers in these series, who are they (especially CART)??? Where did they come from? So they raced BMW Sedans, or some Formula Atlantic car somewhere, for 2, 12 race seasons, in front of empty grandstands.... Because why?.. Nobody in the USA cares. And all this makes these guys qualified (beside all the ride buying) to run at the top level of Open Wheel Racing??? Now compare that to say 1950, or even the 60's, and 70's: The drivers had to earn their way to the pinnacle of Open Wheel racing. They raced thousands and thousands of laps, all over the country, in front of packed houses! Before any these guys convinced an owner to let them run their Indy Car, these guys already had a fan base from not only their "local" area, but around the country! They were already heroes before they even set their butt in a Champ Car. Such is not the case today.
You can see it in NASCAR. No, the average NASCAR fan did not know who J.J. Yeley was, but most above average race fans did. Then the NASCAR machine takes over, selling the world on the former USAC Triple Crown champion!! J.J. has done this, and J.J. has done that while driving those super hairy Sprint Cars, blindfolded!!!
By comparison: I would consider myself an above average race fan, and I have to ask, who the hell is Simon Pagenaud?? Well here's what Simon Pagenaud has done in his career (cut and pasted from his website): My career in motorsport
2007 : takes part to the Champ Car championship
2006 : Champion of the Champ Car Atlantic series and Rookie of the year
2005 : 15th of the World Series by Renault
2004 : 2nd of the Eurocup Formula Renault 2000
2003 : 3rd of the French Formula Renault 2000
2002 : 9th of the Eurocup Formula Renault 2000, 3rd of the French Formula Renault 2000
2001 : Winner of the ELF Wheel, 2nd of the French championship of the Renault Campus Formula

:respect: WOW!!!!.. And how many Americans do you think caught a Formula Renault race last year?? I don't think P.T. Barnum himself, could get average "Joe American Fan" to give 2 sh*t's about this guy, or for that matter what the "ELF Wheel" is!.. And just think, you have a field full of 15 other guys (and some girls), just like him!!! YAY!

So, as you say, "the days of anything on the major level of racing in the U.S. being american drivers only is coming to an end." maybe accurate. That certainly doesn't make it a good thing though.... And let's not even start about rear engine cars, spec cars, and the technology that let's 20 cars hold their foot to the floor for 200 laps and still call it racing

And just for the record, what Moses posted was not only well said, but I feel pretty much the same way!! Now excuse me while I go watch some highlights of Johnnie Parsons winnnig some rain shortened race that paid a lot of $, and glory... I just wish I could remember what year that took place??