View Single Post
7/2/12, 12:56 AM   #15
Re: Why are there higher paying late model races?
Hotshoe65s

Growing up as a big late model fan in the middle of Indiana I have wondered the same thing. After a lot of thought it comes down to many of the reasons already listed. But some other things I noticed different is the atmosphere at a late model race. Late model fans are really into it, it seems like. They scream and holler for or against drivers, and they are willing to travel farther to see a big race. One big thing I have always wondered is why big named sprint car guys don't have souvenir trailers. Most your big LM guys have a trailer that tours with them and they bank a lot of money that way. I know I read somewhere that Bloomquist sells about a million a year in souvenirs.

Back to the subject of a big sprint race. I don't understand why it couldn't happen and be successful. But I only see it being successful under a few circumstances.

1. Needs to pay at least $20,000 or more to win.
2. Needs to have a pay structure to entice mid pack cars to attend. Such as at least $750 to start. And pay like $200 to start the Bmain with the first guy not to transfer getting $700 or so. Then pay the cmain a decent amount. Things like this will get guys that know they cant win or cant make the show to show up anyways.
3. It would have to be at the end of the year. Late October or early November. This would be late enough that sprints wouldn't have many racing alternatives.
4. Would have to be an Indiana track with large seating, pit, parking, and camping capacity.
5. Would have to be a two day show. Hot laps and qualifying on Friday. Races on Saturday. (example: World 100 or Dream). And do an invert wheel after qualifying like they do for the dream. It adds a little curveball to the drivers and makes racing more interesting. Plus it doesnt let drivers sandbag in qualifying cause they dont know what the invert will be for the heats.
6.Needs to be a 100 lap race. Have a caution at 50 for fuel and tires. Every major race or crown jewel in the late models is usually 100 laps.
7.The race needs a catchy, yet serious name. i.e. world 100, the Dream, North/South 100, Dirt Track World Championships, Kings Royal, Knoxville Nationals. This makes the race catch on with fans and in time will make it into a household name (at least within our own little world).
8.Unfortunately with big pay comes a big price tag. So tickets would have to be expensive. Prolly $45 or $50 for a two day ticket. And $50 or $60 for a two day pit pass.
9. This one will be loved by everyone on here lol, but it shouldn't have any support classes. For sprints I guess midgets would work in nicely, but sprints alone should be enough.
10. Lastly but most importantly, the promoter would have to advertise extremely well. They would have to reach out to the sprints across the country to draw all the cars and fans they can. There just arent enough non-wing cars in the midwest to make a big show work. So they would have to come from across the country.

That's my situation in which I think it would be plausible. But a promoter has to strongly believe that an event of this magnitude would work before it ever becomes reality.